Marking an exceptional milestone in AIESEC Sri Lanka history, AIESEC Sri Lanka in collaboration with Unilever Sri Lanka, conducted an island-wide Career Program, which consisted of the Unispire workshop series and three days Virtual Career Fair in the name of Unilever CareerFest ’21, tapping into the youth in all 25 districts to find and refine the brave individuals who were fervent in discovering their future career. AIESEC Sri Lanka has triumphed in making undauntable personalities to the Sri Lankan youth for over 25 years and Unilever Career Program 21 is our latest movement to equip undergraduates with personal and professional skills while giving them career guidance. The aim of the program was not only to create the visionary of a successful employee by the end of 2030 but strive to make their dreams come true.
Unilever Career Program was the biggest ever virtual career program in AIESEC Sri Lanka history which featured the UFairs virtual career platform designed by C-Suite HR and Sia. This event was tailored towards the youth, specially who were undergraduates and jobseekers all over Sri Lanka. The event was held in two phases virtually.
Phase 01: Unispire Workshop Series
Phase one of the Unilever Career Program consisted of three very successful workshops with a very interactive participation. Unispire workshop series was held in three stages over a period of eight days from 11th October onwards.
- Day 1 of the workshop series was on the topic of The Perfect Career path and this session focused on helping students find out the best career path for them. It was delivered by Ms. Aaqila Hanifa, Talent advisor and learning specialist, Human Resources, Unilever Sri Lanka
- Day 2 was based on communication skills with a touch of corporate etiquette and this session focused on effective communication and how to face an interview. It was delivered by Ms.Anjali Jayathunge, HR Strategy Lead, Human Resources, Unilever Sri Lanka and Ms. Demethri Berman, the CD Promotion Planning Execution and Monitoring Manager, Customer Development, Unilever Sri Lanka
- Day 3 of the workshop series was on the topic of Problem Solving and critical thinking. This session focused on the importance of having these two skills as soft skills. It was delivered by Mr. Dinushika Opatha, the Manufacturing Excellence Manager- Ceytea, Supply Chain, Unilever Sri Lanka
Unispire workshop series mainly aimed to bring light to all the conundrums that undergraduates have been having all these times.
Phase 02: Unilever CareerFest, The Virtual Career Fair
Based on the feedback of the delegates we received after the workshop series, we opened the Unilever career fair week in the name of Unilever CareerFest ’21, for all undergraduates interested. The Phase two of Unilever Career Program officially commenced in a grand manner from 21st to 23rd October 2021 and All the sessions were delivered to the participants in collaboration with Unilever, free of charge until the closing ceremony of the Program on 23rd October. Mock interviews, Coaching Sessions and CV consultations were scheduled at different stalls. Meanwhile there were different education and career based lessons conducted by Unilever at the main auditorium.
‘Purpose’ lesson by Ms. Keshavi Puswewala, Senior HR Business Partner, Corporate Function amd T&O, Employer Brand Lead, Unilever Sri Lanka
- Drafting the Perfect CV by Ms. Sabeeha Murad, Assistant manager, employer brand and talent & organisation, Unilever Sri Lanka
- Future Fit session by Ms. Demethri Berman, the CD Promotion Planning Execution and Monitoring Manager, Customer Development, Unilever Sri Lana
- Building better connections through Linkedln by Ms. Aaqila Hanifa, the Talent advisor and learning specialist , Human Resources , Unilever Sri Lanka
- Time Management by Ms. Lacksita John , Member Committee Vice President , Business Development, AIESEC Sri Lanka
This 3 days program was a new experience for all the Undergraduates and job seekers as it facilitated space for all the participants,
- To interact with employers of Unilever Sri Lanka
- Experience virtual mock interviews
- Interact with AIESEC global internship opportunities
Mr. Banuka Hathurusinghe, the Country President at AIESEC Sri Lanka mentioned,
“This was a great opportunity for young people to engage and interact in a professional environment to groom up in their career development. I am sure this was a completely new experience for all the participants mainly because of the newest technologies that we were bringing through the virtual career fair experience.”
We express our gratitude to the youth who joined with us believing themselves towards creating a youth movement to impact and create a ripple effect in Sri-Lanka, so in the world. We strongly believe that the Unilever Career Program would help and develop all individuals in the way they see their career and job, its future, challenges and problems for a better tomorrow for all the humans in the world.